Dundee and Cowdenbeath’s youngsters served up an entertaining match at Montrose FC’s Links Park on Sunday afternoon, but neither side could find the way to goal.

Coach Gavin Burns was missing the talents of John Bonnar, Cammy Black, Craig Wighton, Lee Cameron, Thomas Carberry and Gary Duggan but his revamped side acquitted themselves well against a skilful Cowdenbeath outfit.

Dundee passed up a good chance as early as the third minute when Cammy Kerr’s corner was headed wide by Calvin Colquhoun.

The ‘home’ side made a promising start with Ben Sivewright playing in Greg Warwick but the striker’s shot lacked power and was easily gathered by Cowden keeper Shaun Hunter.

With a strong wind at their backs Cowden dominated for a short spell and there was a nice bit of trickery on the edge of the Dundee box from Ben Anthony, but his attempted pass to Declan Byrne was a poor one.

Dundee again came close when Max Avolio dispossessed Reece Sawyers 40 yards out and bore down on the visiting goal. Fortunately for the Fife youngsters Avolio dragged his shot wide of Hunter’s right hand post.

The Blue Brazil responded with a free kick from Byrne which Dens keeper Craig Mackie did well to hold. A poor throw-out by Mackie landed his side in trouble but Byrne could only fire his shot over the bar.
Byrne was at the heart of things again when he latched on to a long ball out of defence to beat the offside trap but he sent his shot inches wide of the far post.

Dundee responded with a Kerr corner to Matty Allan, but the skipper’s header was directed straight at Hunter.

Five minutes from the interval Calum McHardy came to the rescue of the Dark Blues when he cleared a Blair Springhall header off the line.

Three minutes later Springhall got in behind the Dundee defence but shot over the bar.

HT: Dundee 0 Cowdenbeath 0

Dundee were quick off the mark in the second period and a Kerr corner just missed the head of Allan as he steamed in at the back post.

On 58 minutes Dundee introduced John Black for Avolio.

Cowden passed up a glorious chance to take the lead on the hour mark when Anthony’s cross was just missed by an unmarked Byrne. Anthony then had the ball in the net but was ruled offside.

Three minutes later Byrne went off to be replaced by John Paul McPhail.

Despite having the wind at their backs Dundee were struggling to create anything clear-cut and when Sivewright burst into the box Hunter did well to hold his fierce drive.

On 67 minutes Anthony had the ball in the net for Cowdenbeath but the whistle had gone for offside against the striker.

Four minutes later the visitors brought on their second sub, Greig Renton for Springhall.

A poor throw by Hunter landed his side in trouble and the keeper had to redeem himself by turning Black’s shot round the post for a corner kick. From the corner the ball landed at the feet of Allan on the edge of the box and his shot came back off the post.
Ethan Anderson came on for Aron Lynas as time ticked away.

Dundee almost snatched the points in the dying minutes when Kerr’s free kick caused mayhem in the visitors’ box before being scrambled clear.

For the Dark Blues, Matty Allan was a stand-out in the centre of defence, John Black gave the midfield more impetus when he came on, Greg Warwick held the ball up well up front and Cammy Kerr did a fine job in an unaccustomed left wing role.

FT: Dundee 0 Cowdenbeath 0

Dundee: Mackie, Sivewright, Mollison, Allan, Neave, Colquhoun, Avolio (J Black 58), McHardy, Warwick, Skelly, Kerr. Sub not used: Lamond.

Cowdenbeath: Hunter, McDonald, Sawyers, McNeill, Hainey, Lynas (Anderson 89), Springhall (Renton 71), Brand, Anthony, Byrne (McPhail 63), Bouhaddou. Subs not used: Speedie, Sutherland.

Report: Jim Davie