As poor a first half performance as they’ve produced all season saw Dundee’s youngsters crash to an energetic Rangers side bent on revenge following the 4-2 home reverse a few days earlier.

The Ibrox side were quickly out of the blocks and almost took the lead in the opening minute, Dylan Dykes missing a great opportunity by sending his shot wide of the target.

However, the opener was delayed only another seven minutes with Scott Roberts scoring from 20 yards out.

Dundee’s Kyle Gourlay then brought off a fine save from Rory Currie but was beaten again on 13 minutes when Jordan Gibson raced on to a through ball and sent it under the advancing keeper.

It looked as if the Light Blues could score at will, but the Dens men fought their way back into the game, with Ryan Gemmell prominent on the left hand side.

A John Black shot was deflected for a corner and they came close again when Calvin Colquhoun headed narrowly past from a Sam Dryden long throw-in.

A fierce Kerr Waddell free kick then cannoned back off the Rangers wall, but the home defence was all at sea on 36 minutes when Roberts grabbed his second, drifting in from the right before beating Gourlay with a close-in shot.

John Black had another effort tipped over the bar by Rangers keeper Robby McRorie, but, on the stroke of half time, the visitors made it four when a ball over the top fell to Dykes who ran on and found the net.

It had been a disastrous first half showing from the boys in dark blue but they came out fighting in the second half.

Sean Gallacher was on in place of Kyle Clark at the start of the second period. Andy Black carved out an opening for namesake John, but he shot wide.

Gemmell did well to curl in a shot that had McRorie stretching and the keeper did well again, diving to clutch a John Black effort.

Iain Durrant’s men were dangerous on the break and this was illustrated when Dykes raced clear of the home defence only to see Gourlay save his shot with his legs.

John Black was being given several opportunities up front but his luck was out again when McRorie tipped his shot over the top of the bar.

However, with 10 minutes left a strong run by Jesse Curran set up a chance for DRYDEN at the far post and he made no mistake from close range.

FT: Dundee 1 Rangers 4

Dundee: Gourlay, Dryden, Gibb, Priest, Waddell, Curran, A Black, Colquhoun, Clark (Gallacher 46), Gemmell, J Black. Subs not used: Beattie, Warwick.

Report: Jim Davie

Sign up to #TheDEE News

Sign up to our newsletter and be the first to #THEDEE news, exclusive updates and offers.

We respect the value of your inbox and mail, and we want to make sure that you are certain we can contact you. We will process your personal data as set out in our Privacy Policy.