Partick Thistle ran out deserved winners in this Development League game at Gayfield. The young Dark Blues did well playing against the wind in the first period and even turned round at half time a goal to the good, but a poor second half performance allowed the visitors to go home with the three points.

New signing Ben Priest was paired with Kerr Waddell in central defence, allowing skipper Matty Allan to move into midfield.Priest was in action right away heading away a dangerous cross after a swift Partick move down the right wing.

A mistake by Calvin Colquhoun let in Jordan Leyden but the Thistle man shot widely over Calum Brodie’s bar.

With the wind at their backs the visitors were doing most of the pressing and, as they threatened Brodie’s goal again, Priest showed remarkable coolness in heading safely back to his keeper from close range.
Dundee’s attacks were fewer but it was from one of them that they took the lead in bizarre fashion on 23 minutes.

Breaking from his own half, Lee Cameron played the ball forward for Josh Skelly but Thistle centre half Ben Richards-Everton got to it first. Under pressure from Skelly the big defender sent a swirling shot with the outside of his boot high over his own keeper Scott Basalaj and into the net.


Richards-Everton almost made amends minutes later but his header from a corner kick went just wide of the post.

Dundee replied with a Cameron shot that went just over the bar and Thistle picked up two bookings in quick succession for Leyden and Dominic Docherty as the Dark Blues threatened to extend their lead.

Minutes before the half time whistle Partick burst clear down the right and only a timely interception by Greg Warwick broke up the move.

HT: Dundee 1 Partick Th 0

Thistle were determined to get back on level terms as the second half got underway and David Wilson rattled the Dundee bar with a fierce drive from the edge of the area.

At the other end Craig Wighton tried a shot which went over Basalaj’s bar.
On 57 minutes the visitors equalised. Ryan Finnie made a great run down the right and his superb cross went right across the face of the Dundee goal and was missed by everyone except the inrushing Matthew McInally who stabbed it home.

Two minutes later Thistle were in front. This time Wilson found Leyden in the box and his angled drive sent the ball wide of Dens keeper Brodie.
Dundee brought on Ryan Gemmell for Wighton at this point, but still the visitors dominated and Brodie was forced into a brave save at the feet of Kevin Nesbitt.

Max Avolio then came on for Cameron and the winger immediately found Skelly in the box but the striker couldn’t turn and get his shot away.
A long ball from Priest sent Jamie Reid away but his cross was easily cut out by Basalaj.

Despite the odd foray into Thistle territory Partick were in command at this stage and Wilson once again rattled the woodwork with a fierce shot.
In the final minutes an Avolio free kick failed to clear the first defender and Avolio himself ended up making a last ditch tackle to prevent another goal.

FT: Dundee 1 Partick Thistle 2

Dundee: Brodie, A Black, Warwick, Waddell, Priest, Allan, Reid, Colquhoun, Skelly, Wighton (Gemmell 60), Cameron (Avolio 67). Subs not used: Gourlay, McHardy, C Black, Cunningham, D Davidson.

Partick Th: Basalaj, Finnie, Keenan, Hendry, Everton-Richards, Wilson, McInally (McLaughlin 86), Leyden, Nesbitt, Docherty, Dillon.

Report: Jim Davie

Sign up to #TheDEE News

Sign up to our newsletter and be the first to #THEDEE news, exclusive updates and offers.

We respect the value of your inbox and mail, and we want to make sure that you are certain we can contact you. We will process your personal data as set out in our Privacy Policy.